1957 - The Federation of Malaya gains independence from the United Kingdom. Tuanku Abdul Rahman ibni Almarhum Tuanku Muhammad, Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan becomes the first Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaya.
- Malaya officially admitted to 88th United Nations members.
1959 - The Central Bank of Malaya (Bank Negara Tanah Melayu) is founded.
- The 1959 General Elections is held for the first time since independence on 31 August 1957. Alliance Party won.
1960 - The Chinese Hibiscus become as the Malaysian national flower and renamed Bunga Raya.
- Tunku Abdul Rahman declared the state of emergency ends.
1961 - Congo Peacekeeping Mission (1960-1962). Malaya sent 1,947 personnel were dispatched as part of the United Nations Operation in the Congo or ONUC.
1962 - Dato' Onn Jaafar the founder of UMNO dies. His body was laid to rest at Makam Mahmoodiah, Johor Bahru.
- The Cobbold Commission is established.
1963 - The Malaysia-Indonesia confrontation had began. The war breaks out.
- Federation of Malaysia formed through the merging of the Federation of Malaya and the British crown colony of Singapore, North Borneo (renamed Sabah) and Sarawak.
1964 - The 1964 General Elections. PAP(People's Action Party) participating for the 1st time in th general election of Malaysia. Alliance won.
1965 - Tunku Abdul Rahman, Prime Minister of Malaysia, recommends the expulsion of Singapore from the Federation of Malaysia, negotiating its separation with Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Minister of the State of Singapore.
- Singapore is expelled from the Federation of Malaysia.
1966 - The National Monument or Tugu Negara is opened.
- The Malaysian and Indonesian governments declared that the confrontation was over. The peace treaty signed in Bangkok, Thailand.
1967 - The insurgency war against Communist terrorist has begun.
- The Malaysian ringgit (Malaysian dollar) is officially introduced replaced British Malaya dollar.
- Malaysia is fully member of the formation of ASEAN.
- Malaysia win the Thomas Cup for the first time.
1969 - The 1969 Malaysian General Elections. Major defeat for the alliance Party.
- May 13th Incident: Race riots occur in Kuala Lumpur. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah declared the state of emergency and dissolved the parliament.The MAGERAN Council (Majlis Gerakan Negara) is established and act as a temporary legislative council.
1970 - Rukun Negara the national ideology is declared.
- Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj resigned as prime minister. Tun Abdul Razak become as prime minister.
1971 - The Parliament government is restored after it was suspended during the Incident of 13 May 1969.
- The Malaysian New Economic Policy is launched.
1973 - Tun Dr Ismail the deputy prime minister dies. He was buried in Makam Pahlawan, near Masjid Negara, Kuala Lumpur. He was the first national leader to be laid to rest here. Dato' Hussein Onn is elected as the deputy prime minister.
1974 - Kuala Lumpur became an independent federal territory. Previously, it was part of the state of Selangor.
- Barisan Nasional (National Front) (BN), Malaysia's largest party was formed replaced Parti Perikatan (Alliance Party).
- The 1974 Malaysian General Elections. BN won.
1976 - Tun Abdul Razak, second Malaysian prime minister died in London. His body was brought back to Malaysia and laid to rest at Makam Pahlawan near Masjid Negara, Kuala Lumpur.
- Tun Hussein Onn replaces Tun Abdul Razak as a prime minister.
1977 - Malaysia Airlines Flight 653 is hijacked and crashed in Tanjung Kupang, Johor, killing 100 including Minister of Agriculture Dato' Mohd Ali Ahmad.
1980 - Malaysia boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games in Soviet Union.
1981 - Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad officially became the fourth Malaysian prime minister.
1982 - The time zone in Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore has changed to UTC+8/GMT+8 and it was never changed ever since.
1983 - Malaysia officially occupied Layang-Layang Islands or "Swallow Reefs" atolls, one of the Spratly Islands. A naval base and resort was later built at this location.
- The Perusahan Otomobil Nasional Berhad (PROTON) is established.
1985 - The first Malaysian national cars Proton Saga is launched.
- Official opening of the Penang Bridge by the fourth Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad. He drove across the bridge in a red Proton Saga (a national car), carrying the national flag to officiate the opening ceremony.
- The Memali Incident occurred in Kedah. 14 civilians and four policemen are killed.
1986 - The 1986 General Elections. BN won.
1987 - Operasi Lalang launched. More than 100 opposition activists are arrested, including Lim Kit Siang under Internal Security Act (ISA).
- The Malaysian constitutional crisis occurred.
1988 - The Malaysian constitutional crisis ended.
1989 - The insurgency war against Communist terrorist has over and the Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) ceased fire. The peace treaty signed at Hat Yai, Thailand. CPM is officially dissolved.
1990 - The Malaysian General Elections. Kelantan now under PAS party.
- Tun Hussein Onn, Malaysia's 3rd prime minister dies. His body was laid to rest at Makam Pahlawan, near Masjid Negara, Kuala Lumpur.
- Tunku Abdul Rahman father of Independence dies. His body was brought back to Kedah and laid to rest at Kedah Royal Mausoleum, Langgar.
- The peace treaty between Malaysia government and the second bureau of the North Kalimantan Communist Party are signed in Kuching, Sarawak.
1991 - The Vision 2020 (Wawasan 2020) programme was launched.
1993 - The Malaysian constitutional crisis.
- The Constitutional Amendment Bill to strip the Malay Rulers of their legal immunity from prosecution and other privileges received the royal assent.
- Private Mat Aznan Awang, one of Malaysian soldiers was killed in action during Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia.
- The Al-Arqam religious movement was banned by the federal government. More than 5 Al-Arqam members including Ashaari Mohammad (leader of movement) were arrest under Internal Security Act (ISA) in the main camp at Kampung Sungai Penchala, Kuala Lumpur.
- The Negaraku national anthem is given a new quickmarch version.
1995 - The 1995 General Elections. BN won.
1997 - Economic crisis in Malaysia. The Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE) Composite Index fell below 200 points.
1998 - Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim the deputy prime minister is sacked from parliament and UMNO.
- The 1998 Commonwealth Games is held in Kuala Lumpur for the first time in Asia. Malaysia got 10 gold medals in this games.
- Anwar Ibrahim addressed a protest gathering of nearly 100,000 people in Kuala Lumpur, after which a number of his supporters marched to Mahathir Mohammad's then official residence "Sri Perdana" demanding reformasi (economic and political reforms) and Mahathir's resignation. Anwar Ibrahim was appeared in court and pleaded innocent to charges of corruption and sodomy.
1999 - Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim was sentenced in jail for 6 years.
- Azhar Mansor becomes the first Malaysian solo sailor crossed around the world by Jalur Gemilang sail ship.
- The 1999 General Elections. Terengganu fall to PAS party.
2002 - Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad announced that he will resign from the office and be replaced by Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
2003 - The Mathematics and Science subject in English are introduced to all primary and secondary schools for the first time.
- Malaysia and Singapore jointly submitted to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) a dispute concerning sovereignty over Pulau Batu Puteh (Pedra Branca), Middle Rocks and South Ledge.
- The quickmarch version of Negaraku national anthem has changed to the original slowmarch version
- Abdullah Ahmad Badawi becomes the fifth prime minister replacing Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad.
- The Malaysian National Service (Program Latihan Khidmat Negara (PLKN)) are introduced for the first time as the conscription training program.
2004 - The 2004 General Elections. Barisan Nasional party retaken Terengganu from PAS party.
- Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim, a former deputy prime minister released from the 6 year jail sentences.
2007 - Bloggers Jeff Ooi and Ahirudin Attan were sued by the New Straits Times Press (NSTP) for libel. The suit is still in progress, as of April 2007.
– Official launching of the Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER)
– Malaysia celebrates 50 years of independence.